Having a beautiful lawn is a goal for many homeowners, but it’s not just about mowing it. Choosing the right type of grass for your yard is also essential.
Different grass types require different mowing schedules, and it’s important to understand the needs of your grass before deciding on a mowing schedule.
Read on to learn about the different types of lawn grass and how often to mow them.
Types of Lawn Grass
Cool-season grasses are best suited for the Midwest and northern climates. They grow best in cooler temperatures and stay green in spring and fall. Cool-season grasses include:
- Ryegrass: Ryegrass might be the most popular cool-season grass. It’s fast-growing, durable, and drought-resistant.
- Fescue: Fescue is another popular cool-season grass. It comes in many different varieties and is highly pest-resistant.
- Bluegrass: Bluegrass is a classic turf grass that’s a bit harder to grow but incredibly durable and attractive.
Warm-season grasses are best suited for southern climates and thrive in hot summers. They tend to go dormant during the cooler months. Popular warm-season grasses include:
- Bermuda grass: Bermuda grass is very low maintenance and highly disease-resistant. It’s also very tolerant of high temperatures.
- Zoysia grass: Zoysia grass is an excellent choice for a low-maintenance lawn. It’s slow-growing and very drought-resistant.
- St. Augustine grass: St. Augustine grass is popular in southern climates. It’s very tolerant of heat and humidity but can be a bit of a high-maintenance grass.
For cool-season grasses, the best mowing schedule is to mow at least once a week during the growing season. The average height for cool-season grasses is 2-3 inches. If the grass gets too tall, you can reduce the mowing height gradually until you reach the preferred height.
For warm-season grasses, mow at least once a week during the growing season. The average height for warm-season grasses is 1-2 inches. Again, gradually reducing the mowing height is best until you reach the preferred height.
Benefits of Mowing Your Lawn
Having a well-maintained lawn is not only aesthetically pleasing; it also provides many benefits for your property.
Here are a few reasons why properties should have mowed lawns:
A mowed lawn is safer for everyone, including kids, pets, and visiting friends and family. Long grass increases the risk of tripping, while a mowed lawn helps keep pathways and walkways accessible.
Tall grasses and weeds can attract unwanted pests like rats and insects. Keeping your lawn mowed helps minimize the risk of pests.
A well-maintained lawn adds value and curb appeal to your property. It also gives your landscape a neat and organized look.
When you regularly mow your lawn, you help promote healthier plants. The grass blades provide essential protection from the sun, which allows the grass to stay healthy.
As you can see, there are many benefits to having a mowed lawn. It provides greater safety, helps control pests, and improves your property’s overall appearance.
There are many different types of lawn grass available, and the mowing schedule will depend on your grass type. Cool-season grasses should be mowed at least once a week during the growing season, while warm-season grasses should be mowed at least once a week during the growing season.
Looking for a dependable lawn care service provider in Mississauga? Look no further than Clear Cut Group. We offer professional, reliable, and affordable lawn care services to clients in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact us today for a free quote.